Tuesday 14 February 2012

"There's a kind of power thing about the camera. I mean everyone knows you've got some edge. You're carrying some magic which does something to them. It fixes them in a way." - 365 Project, Day 347

Cameras definitely fix people, it's undeniable, especially in Ottawa.  No matter how big or small, as soon as I whip one baby out and point it at something, people look at me funny.  They're eyeing me, making sure they're not in my shot.  It's very strange, and a big reason why most of my street shots are from the side or the back.  If I tried shooting someone from the front, they'd be, in their eyes, considerate and move out of the field of view.

I heard once from a TV show (and I can't remember which one, but it was a news report-type show) that if you walk around Los Angeles with a camera crew, people will come up to you and be curious about what you're doing (the idea was, because it's Los Angeles, everybody wants to be an actor).  In the same vein, I've wondered how people would react if I went to a city with more people that want to be where they're going quicker.  Say, New York City, or Los Angeles, or Hong Kong; would my cameras attract more or less (or the same) attention there?  I've missed a lot of decent shots because people move out of the way to not step into my field of view.   I try to be discreet, but maybe I'm just too charismatic and people simply notice me.

Once more, and you probably expected this, our contributions for the day.

Frank

His note: Part of my steering wheel.

My own self

By any stretch of the imagination, or by any definition, my movie collection is pretty hefty.  It's probably part and parcel of my interest in photography.  Somewhat of an oblique homage is this shot, not really reflective of Mr. Kurosawa's style or anything, but it's the most interesting way I could think of showing what I have.

I think I may know what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment