Tuesday 21 February 2012

"I am sure the next step will be the electronic image, and I hope I shall live to see it. I trust that the creative eye will continue to function, whatever technological innovations may develop." - 365 Project, Day 358

Yesterday, I got to shoot with a Nikon F2.  It was my co-workers, and a gift from her father.  It's the first time I shot film since probably 2004 and the first time I shot a non-digital SLR since, uh, 1993, I think.  In any case, it was a pretty different experience from shooting digital.  I'd forgotten how different.

I was at the time shooting on a Canon T3i with a 50mm f/1.4 lens and was enjoying it.  My co-worker came with her camera and enthusiastically showed me the three lenses she had, a 28-80mm standard lens with a macro setting (strange but true), a 50mm f/2 lens and a 135mm f/2.8 big boy.  I immediately grabbed the 135mm and shot a few portraits with it, and enjoyed every second of it.

It was fully manual focusing was interesting, to say the least.  The viewfinder on the camera is so much nicer and brighter than the T3i's, and, for that matter, the Canon 7D's.  There wasn't really any issue in focusing after I got used to the feel of the camera.  Because it was fully manual, it was tricky figuring the exposure, as well.  There was a light meter in the camera, but I ended up getting a basic idea for exposure with the T3i's metering and shooting with those settings.  It was also very odd looking at the back of the camera after taking a shot and not seeing anything.

I would definitely shoot film if I wasn't lazy about getting my film developed (and if it didn't cost me money every time I wanted to take pictures).  I also take too many photos and it would end up costing me too much in film and processing.  I suppose I could figure out a way to process my own stuff, but, again, chemicals and other equipment would end up costing me too much.  Lightroom is also slightly more convenient in coming up with a shot I like.

Obviously, the pictures I took aren't in this project for a few reasons, but I'll hopefully be able to get a hold of one or two in a little while.  Here, instead, is what we shot today.

Frank

His note: Took this shot and decided it was too plain so rotated it counterclockwise 90° and it gave the picture a whole different feel.

My shot

There are usually tons and tons of snowbanks in various spots across the city at this time of year.  This is only part of one, though it doesn't really look like one.  It's been one of those days, as well, and didn't have much to shoot.

I'm hoping tomorrow is going to be somewhat picturesque, though I can't promise anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment