Tuesday 12 July 2011

"The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking." - 365 Project, Day 134

At work (which you can deduce by Shannon's picture today), when I sent my S95 away to get fixed, my coworker asked me how many cameras I have, because, she said, everytime she helps me, it's with a camera.  I realised that in the past three years, I've bought 5 different cameras.  That may seem a lot, but it's nothing compared to the dozen-or-so earphones I've bought and used in the same timeframe (my newest acquisition being today).  To be fair, about half of them broke or have stopped working for whatever reason, the other half are lying around my apartment somewhere.

That got me thinking.  If I'm as picky as that about my sound quality (which, I honestly don't think I am, though I like decent sound), is it the same thing for photography equipment?  Let's say I find a camera that fits me perfectly (and the S95 comes pretty close to doing that), will I notice it, and will I treasure it, regardless of what camera it may be?  I'm planning on getting a full-frame camera as my next big camera purchase, but will it really make that much of a difference?  What happens if I like the features on my 7D more than on my next DSLR?  By that token, do others think the same as myself, or am I just crazy in my head?

Before answering that question, take a look at today's pictures.

Frank

His note: Stephen Frew, a local artist is, showing at the Orange Art Gallery.  This is not a commercial but I like the idea that Ottawa has an active, local arts community.

Shannon

Her note: Pat working hard.

(That's what you think!)

My picture

This is the third device I'm using in this project.  This is the first picture from my Nexus S phone, albeit with a fair chunk of post.  It's not the exact picture I was looking to get - I'll try to get that one tomorrow - but I really enjoy the loneliness of this picture.

Today turned out better than I expected.  I'm hoping that trend will keep going tomorrow.  Like I said, I'll try to get that picture I couldn't get today.

No comments:

Post a Comment