Thursday 7 July 2011

"Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at." - 365 Project, Day 129

I remember watching a music video long time ago and finding it very annoying.  I can't quite pinpoint why (or the name of the song, or the band, other than to say it was a French Canadian band), but I just didn't like it.  I remember there were no cuts longer than half a second, and I think I didn't like the video because the cuts happened with insane regularity with the beat, and every shot had the same feel to it.  I also remember the first time I was quite impressed with a music video.  I had to find the song (because this song wouldn't play on any TV station, but not for any controversial reasons) and was blown away, though I couldn't say why.  It was "Six Days", by DJ Shadow, directed by Wong Kar-wai (his (arguably) second music video).

I've been semi-obsessed in shooting my own music video for the past month or so.  It all started by surfing Youtube for random songs and being inspired.  (For those who care, this is the song that pushed me over the edge.)  I have no song, and until I have a song, I have no real vision for the video.  So, I'm not in the best spot for this, but I want to go for it.  Music videos have this special power over people.  Photos are simply visual.  Music videos have the special aspect of mixing something as important as sight with something as emotional, or manipulative as sound, and combine them into something coherent, to bring out a certain feeling, or mood, in the listener/watcher.  A lot of music videos (most of them, actually) only serve as a vehicle to the artist in them, and only a few try to accomplish what they should all be created for.  That's a shame, because a lot of great songs are rendered impotent by lackluster videos with little or no vision.

Today's pictures:

Frank

His note: I felt the need to expose more of my Tweetys.

Shannon

Her note: Was driving past Hoggs Back with a friend. Tried to take a pic of the water while moving and thought it looked neat how the rails look slanted.

(Interesting.  I've only seen the rolling shutter effect when people shoot video (and with a camera that, you know, uses a shutter).  It's got a really nice look for a picture.)

My picture

On my way outside, I saw this elderly lady waiting for a ride (I suppose).  It was an interesting shot, and a slightly lonely one, with all the parked cars in the back.

I shall more than likely be kind of tired tomorrow, so we'll see if that gets my imagination going.

No comments:

Post a Comment