Monday 4 July 2011

"Nobody will ever notice that. Filmmaking is not about the tiny details. It's about the big picture." - 365 Project, Day 126

One time I was sitting at a cafe/dessert spot with a friend and I happened to look down at the table and noticed the candle holder.  It was a glass and globe-shaped.  The rotating fan on the ceiling was reflecting off the glass holder and it marked me.  It's a simple memory of a simple thing, but I remember that moment very clearly even today.

Pictures are inadequate when it comes to reality.  They reproduce it very well, but there are moments it can't capture.  Oftentimes, we have little snapshots of time and the only thing that captures them properly is video.  They may not be long, but you wish you could capture them.  The flickering of a light at the end of a hallway, the generation of a smile on a baby's face as his eyes light up, the quick flash and fizzling of an asteroid hitting the atmosphere; all these are simple moments worth remembering, for no other reason than they are small details that add a dash of flavour to life.

(For those interested, the ironic thing about the quote today and my little blurb, is I am talking about little details here and there, and if Ed Wood, the speaker of that quote, would have paid slightly more attention to details, he may not be considered one of the worst directors in the history of filmmaking.)

Here are today's moments, captured still.

Frank

His note: Jim or Jack?  Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey?  Decisions Decisions Decisions!

Shannon

Her note: This was the sun shining through the store window.

Pat

This is one of my weaker entries, but it was that kind of day.  I actually had a very nice little artsy video clip that I was considering putting up as my entry today, but I decided against it, given it was not a picture.

Tomorrow should, unfortunately be more of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment