Wednesday 27 July 2011

"Before you shoot an irresistible subject, mute all your senses except sight to find out how much is left for the camera to record." - 365 Project, Day 149

I generally listen to music when I walk around taking picture.  Most of the pictures you see on this blog taken by myself were accompanied by either podcasts I listen to or random music that happens to be found on my phones.  I do this for a quite selfish reason: to keep myself from being bored while walking around from place to place in anticipation of taking pictures of interesting things.

Though this keeps me busy, it also creates a fundamental rift between myself and the subjects of my photographs.  This is not a particularly prominent problem if I'm concentration of landcapes at the time, but once I walk the streets of Ottawa, the people I photograph are instantly at a distance.  That doesn't necessarily mean I want to stop and talk to everybody in every single one of the photographs I want to take but it does take me out of the environment and stops me from involving myself in what I shoot.  I see this as a fairly important disadvantage of what I do, but, come on, simply walking around without music is boring.

Here is what everybody took today.

Frank

His note: Tape measure anyone?

Shannon

Her note: Thought these clouds were interesting. All white except for three dark ones

Pat

This corner has been haunting me for a couple of weeks.  Keen eyes will recognise it as the background of my blog, with the fall colours and bench.  I've been trying to find an interesting angle of this corner for a while so I'll settle for this.  The streaks for the lights occurred because of a smudge on my lens.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day.  I may or may not tell you about it, well, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment