Wednesday 20 July 2011

"The shoot is always about the subject, not the photographer." - 365 Project, Day 142

There's a tired old cliche of an insane artist flinging paint around a room, trying to create something, or of a writing humped in a chair with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and writer's block in his mind.  What, then, would be the cliche of the photographer?

Is it then possible that because the photographer is forever behind a camera, that nobody has ever had a cliche, simply because he (or she) is never its flip side?  Ansel Adams was an eccentric-looking fellow with a ZZ top-level beard; Henri-Cartier Bresson was a thin, intellectual-looking gentleman; David LaChapelle looks nothing like these other two.  I suppose the cliche, then, would be the busload of tourists pouring out of a tour bus with big camera weighing down their necks, looking around various famous and semi-famous landmarks, generally being dislike by the local yokels.

Here be our own version of semi-famous landmarks.

Frank

His note: Went for a car ride with my other son and his girlfriend today.  We ended up in St-Albert [famous for its cheese curds], picked up some cheese and took a few photos of farms in that area.  This is one of those farms.

Shannon

Her note: Didn't really have anything to take today so when I was leaving work I saw the bike rack.

Me

Water bottles.  If you live in Ottawa right now, 'nuff said.

My friend pointed something out to me that I say a lot in my end coda.  In that case, I'll skip this particular thing, and say that my goal tomorrow is to somehow capture a picture of the weather tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment