Thursday 21 July 2011

"Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible." - 365 Project, Day 143

I remember walking around close to downtown here and taking pictures (and this was with my old Pentax Espio 115!).  It was still winter and there was snow on the ground, but I saw something interesting and I trudged through the snowbank to get an interesting angle on a big church I found nice-looking.  I came away with a shot (though I have absolutely no idea what that shot looked like, or even if I ended developing that picture) and a couple of wet feet thrown in for good measure.

This is a small example, but there are plenty of stories of people going into slightly more dangerous situations that I walked into that day.  Anybody walking around Ottawa in the past few days had to have noticed the insanely oppressive humidity and risk of dehydration if they're not stocking up on bubble tea between bursts of shooting.  It's funny how some people will risk more than soggy socks to get a nice shot. Photojournalists especially must wonder, from time to time, why they risk getting beaten, trampled or even shot just in the name of a good picture.  I suppose the drive for that iconic picture I mentioned little while ago fuels this irrational impulse.

Having said that, I can understand it.  Here are today's pictures.

Frank

His note: Orbiter Atlantis is now retired and so is the shuttle program.  It was a spectacular 30 years in human innovation and technological development.  Thank you NASA.

Shannon

Her note: I'm still loving cloud pictures.  This one really caught my eye.

My contribution

Grabbing a picture of weather is a bit tricky when there's no real weather to see, but hopefully the heat and humidity can be seen in this picture.  If not, then today was very hot and humid.

I have really nothing to say about tomorrow, mostly because I haven't really given it much thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment