Sunday 31 July 2011

"A good color image is a good B&W image." - 365 Project, Day 153

I generally agree with this statement, though (and not to be a complete contrarian) I have had personal experience whereby either the colour, or the black and white, ended up being better than the other.  The last instance of this was a few months ago.  I took a picture of a rose in my mother's house.  I could not (and not for lack of trying), through saturation, colour corrections and clarity tweaking, get the look I wanted.  Once click later and the black and white picture popped perfectly into place.  It looked much better than the colour version.

This comment even ties in to the statement from two days ago, pointing out that cameras have a mind of their own, creating pictures of their own accord (or something to that effect).  Your ideas may not parallel what the camera takes, and only later the better idea emerges.  Fighting with your camera is a strange thought, but it can happen from time to time.

I have a feel most of the time we fight with our ideas and creativity more than our cameras.  Here's what ended up happening today.

Frank

His note: My son Vinnie playing bass with his band in Manotick today.  Good show!

(I'm really annoyed I missed it, but I had to work.  I hope it went well!)

Shannon

Her note: The sun going down.

(The colours were pretty unique today, a nice purply thing.)

Myself

My note: This was, I believe, the second picture I took today, and turned out to be the best.  I would have been perfect had a person been standing on the other side of the frame, but I'll take this as is.

I have the next few days off, and hopefully something good will come of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment