Tuesday 18 October 2011

"We are proud to introduce this camera to the worldwide community of professional photographers and cinematographers with the features and capabilities they need to capture the great moments that display their talent." - 365 Project, Day 232

It's often been said (and I've said it also) that the equipment is not all that important in taking a good picture.  Though this is true, better gear means making a good picture easier.  Nobody on a cell phone - no matter the cell phone - can get nice bokeh in the same way the Canon 85mm f/1.2 lens can, for example.

It is with this that I'll completely date myself and say that Canon today announced their new flagship pro DSLR, the Canon EOS-1D X, which is a beast.  It has 3 processors (one for metering alone, the other two for picture/video processing), can do 12 frames per second at 18MP, on a newly-designed full-frame sensor, and has a maximum ISO of 204,800 (!!!) thanks to the dual Digic 5 processors.  For comparison, my 7D has a maximum ISO of 12,800 (with dual Digic 4 processors), and the reigning kind of ISO, the Nikon D3s, can go up to 102,400.  It is completely SMPTE-compliant for video, with all the most important resolutions and frame rates available to shoot.

The camera will also be able to sync up with other cameras for clock and shutter actuation.  It will also do such mundane things as remember a person's face, so as to track that face later on.  Finally (or at least the last thing I'll mention), is that it has a completely new 61-point autofocus system that should kill anything on the market today (or, in March 2012, which is when this camera will be released).

Like I said, this camera will be a BEAST, and will only cost you $6800.  I suppose the very long delay in release is so that people can start looking through their couch cushions far in advance to find all the quarters and nickels they'll need to save up for this bad boy.

Here's what our lowly apparatuses have done for us today.

Frank

His note: One of my favorite stores ever.

Shannon

Her note: Thought this was pretty funny as my friend in the UK calls me Shaz.

My picture

Not too sure what I was doing here.  I guess inspiration was a bit slim given my long-ish day.  What is interesting to note is that I could still see the sun when I left work, but it was pretty dark by the time I got home (and I didn't walk for an especially long time, either).  I named it 'Falling', because I just think the sky seems to be crushing the ground for some reason.  Chicken Little would have something interesting to say about it, I'm sure.

I will have something better tomorrow.

I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment