Wednesday 19 October 2011

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there -- even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." - 365 Project, Day 233

I saw a review of the new Pentax Q mirrorless system camera, and I remembered something.  The first mirrorless system/micro four-thirds/compact system camera I saw was the Olympus PEN 1, and the first thought I had was 'nice, but way too expensive'.  I still think they're too expensive, because they appeal the the photography enthusiast that doesn't want the bulk of an SLR, and the ease of use of a point-and-shoot.  Most people will not find themselves in that category, and the people that do are not willing to spend the kind of money for the camera (and they have gone down in price in the past couple of years) and the extra lenses.  It also kind of defeats the purpose of having a smaller camera if you still have to carry around a relatively big bag with all the lenses you need.  Add to that the fact that some of the lenses go north of $2200, it gets just as expensive as any SLR system.

Having said that, the compact system cameras are extremely hot now, and they do offer great performance in a small package.  Most people want better quality than their point-and-shoot can offer and the added flexibility the mirrorless systems offer make them a great buy.  I've played around with the PEN Mini and I would definitely enjoy owning that camera: it's small, has a good size sensor and Olympus has some great lenses to go along with it.  The problem is, as was my first though a couple of years ago, the cost of the camera and the lenses I'd want is just too much.  I'd rather buy an 85mm f/1.2 for my 7D than a 14-35mm f2 for the PEN mini.

Regardless, here's what we did today with the equipment we do have.

Frank

His note: Still some red leaves hanging on to their branches.

Shannon

Her note: Sun coming up this morning.

My pic

I've had this idea for a picture for a couple of months now, but every time I go out with the intention of taking that picture, something else always pops up.  (For the record, I don't go out every night trying to get this shot.  Only on certain days when it's right.)  This time, this lady, almost posing for me with her crossed legs and umbrella, was waiting for the bus, and I couldn't resist the temptation.  It's a bit fuzzy due to the shutter speed I had to shoot at, but had I had my dream gear (M9 with Noctilux 50mm f/0.95), the shot would have been dead sharp and surreal.

Tomorrow should be fun.  Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment