Thursday 20 October 2011

"A photograph is always invisible, it is not it that we see." - 365 Project, Day 234

Far removed from photography, but still a part of it, screen calibration ensures that the colours on your display will be perfect and as realistic as possible on your display, whatever that display may be.  Now, when it comes to photography, that means any editing done will ensure the most realistic colours, so that you get exactly the picture you want.

Although this is a good intention, it's only really useful if every single screen were not only calibrated, but also calibrated by the same tools.  Given that A) there are different companies making different calibration tools and software and B) most people don't even have their screen calibrated to begin with, calibrating your own screen is somewhat of a moot point, as everybody will see your picture with slightly different white balance, brightness, colours and detail.

I don't mean to be negative (though, unfortunately, I am), but calibrations is somewhat of a lost cause when it comes to online use.  However, in relation to today's quote, a good photograph is a good photograph, and though the slight variations in colours may alter the picture slightly, these are very small variations and will not take away the effect of a stunning picture.  A good photograph is a good photograph, regardless of any screen being calibrated or not.

My laptop is not calibrated, but I think these look fine.  How about you?

Frank

His note: Fall is happening outside my window.  Pigeons appear cold, leaves are nicely coloured and the crane in the background seems to want to finish its job before the first snow falls.

Shannon

Her note: After a day of rain, this was nice to see.

My picture

I don't have much to say about this.  I had a few pictures I wanted, mostly some raindrops in a puddle at night, but they didn't turn out the way I wanted, given the fleeting nature of raindrops in puddles.  However, this is nice, and has the effect I want.

Tomorrow will be even more fun!  Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment