Tuesday 25 October 2011

"Photography does not create eternity, as art does; it embalms time, rescuing it simply from its proper corruption." - 365 Project, Day 238

How do you back up your pictures?  Whatever the method, it may not be enough.  For now, say, Canon or Nikon RAW files are fine, but CR2 and NEF files will eventually be replaced by something else.  I suppose when a file type that can carry more information for less space comes along, RAW will change.

I don't worry about that too much.  Say everything changes tomorrow and file types as we know it become obsolete, there will always be a plugin or a piece of software capable of editing, or at least viewing the legacy files.  Also, if that happens, there will be some conversion software that will take your files to convert it to the newer type, while still keeping all the advantages of the old one.  I don't worry about storing my files in the RAW format - I worry more that my hard drive will fail long before CR2 becomes obsolete.

Here are the moments we want to save.

Frank

His note: My baby is sick and needs to get fixed... How sad.

Shannon

Her note: Looking thru the role of paper towels.

Pat

This is just something I saw.  It's interesting how the edges of the frame exclude extremely important information.  For example, the object in the picture was, at one time, a tree.  It's note even tree-shaped now.  It's simply a parking post.  It's just been cut in a way to expose its rings, and my angle shows the rings properly.

Tomorrow is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment