Friday 5 August 2011

"Photography is still a very new medium and everything must be tried and dared." - 365 Project, Day 158

I've never really played around much with flash and, by consequence, I'm a total idiot when it comes to flash photography.  I know a few rules but because I've never had a great need to illuminate various things by anything other than ambient light, my experience is minimal.  I've heard a few photographers talk about painting with light and so I decided to grab a brush.

I have tried (and whether I have succeeded or failed, I leave to you), to paint with light a fairly simple picture today.  It did not, unfortunately, turn out as dramatically as I'd hoped, but painting with light is somewhat more difficult than one would expect, especially in a bright, sunny day.  The light is very harsh and not very helpful for many shorts of photography.  One would have to adapt their style to match the lighting.  This would definitely distinguish the better photographer from the average.

Here is what we did today.

Shannon

Her note: The deformed water bottle.

Myself

My intention was to have an oasis-of-sorts of shadows.  It was a very bright day, so I wanted the tree to be shadowy, with the two people enjoying their picnic, while everywhere else was very bright and somewhat washed out.  I'm happy with what ended up in my camera, though it's not exactly what I was thinking would happen.

I don't think I'll have a lot of free time tomorrow.  Not sure why, it's just what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment