Wednesday 10 August 2011

"Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness." - 365 Project, Day 163

When Shannon tells me she doesn't know what to shoot for the day, I always tell her there's literally thousands of things she sees during the day she can shoot.  Everything from furniture to bugs and animals to buildings, trees, and random people.  By the same token, I should probably listen to my own advice when it comes to my own predicament.

I keep attempting to imbue my photos with a sense of meaning, which, at first thought, may seem like a difficult endeavour.  On second thought, one would see meaning in many different things if wandering eyes are attached to your head.  It's very easy to see when someone is struggling with something and people are walking by, for example.  Society, however, is very individualistic, and anybody offering help, especially in public, would be looked upon with suspicious eyes.

I would have to settle, for the moment, to a picture that has meaning to me, as opposed to a general meaning to everybody.  Adele's 'Hometown Glory' is the first thing I thought when I saw this little note, which is in complete antithesis to the song, which talks about a living, bustling city full of activity.  It's a far cry from this lonely one, with one simple thing to say, and it talks about someone's work, probably a stifling cubicle, with little or no contact with other people.

There are other meanings in today's pictures.  Take a minute or two to figure them out.

Frank

His note: A few days ago, this pool was bursting at the seams with crowds of people.  Today, it sits alone, still, without cheers, without splashes, without the excitement of days past.

Shannon

Her note: Was just outside and saw this rainbow.

Pat

Walking down the sidewalk, I saw this note someone dropped.  I thought of Hometown Glory as soon as I saw it, and how contrary it is to the meaning of the song.

Hopefully, tomorrow will offer the same kind of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment