Monday 29 August 2011

"The painter constructs, the photographer discloses." - 365 Project, Day 182

Paintings are art; there's a pretty strong consensus there.  I don't really know how many people would disagree with that statement.  Video games, on the other hand, are trying to define their artistic value.  It depends on who you ask.  Somewhere in the middle, is photography.

There are some shows in galleries that comprise of nothing but photography.  'The Next Best Artist' has had photographers in it.  A lot of photographs (my own contribution today exempted) can exert a certain power over people.  On the other hand, a lot of pictures are simple reminders of last night's not-so-lucid happenings. Though some of these could have a certain appeal, I doubt very much artistic appeal would apply to most of such shots.  I suppose, like most things in life, it depends on the intention.

Here are our contribution to he discussion of whether photography is art.

Frank

His note: A drawing exercise from a few years ago.  We had to bring an object to class and draw it.  This is my result.

Shannon

Her note: Not as nice as last nights pic but this one still had some pink.

My picture

Again, a day where there's not much to do.  This is a painting Mandy did for me (or at least, part of the painting).  What happens when photography and painting collide?ote: Loved the look of the clouds.

I'm wondering what tomorrow will bring.  I guess I'll see tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment