Saturday 27 August 2011

"No good is ever done to society by the pictorial representation of its diseases." - 365 Project, Day 180

I find this quote particularly interesting, as photography, it seems, can be used to stir people into action.  Simple photographs can bring out emotions and get people to discuss important social issues.  It seems a bit strange to have a quote like this, but to be fair, this quote was said at photography's relative infancy, as its author, John Ruskin, died in 1900.

He was an art critic and painted in watercolour, and probably had a motive in defending paintings, but he undoubtedly would have to rethink his position if he saw the work of some of the better street photographers or photojournalists today.  One wonders (or, at least, I wonder) what he would think of the state of photography about a century after his death.

Here are today's unimportant pieces of digital celluloid.

Frank

His note: My favorite appliance this summer.

Shannon

Her note: Didn't have much of a chance for a pic today, but I just saw these stripes on a blanket.

Mine

I was let out of my place and was able to roam free with a couple of friends.  This is them shopping at a farmer's market, along with a few other people (that I don't know), looking around at various good and wares.

I am so tired right now I don't even care I'm mentioning I'm tired.  Good night and I'll be here again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment