Wednesday 30 November 2011

"I married the model, so I still pay for the shooting..." - 365 Project, Day 275

Take my picture today.  How much would you pay to have it displayed?  If anybody paid more than a buck and a half for this thing, I'd smack them.  My picture from June 28th, for example, is a different story.  Not that anybody would put that picture on their wall besides possibly myself, but it's certainly a nicer shot than today's.

The point being, pricing your work if you want to sell it is tricky.  When you're hired to do a job, say shoot a wedding, it's relatively simple.  The people hiring you are basically renting you, your equipment and your expertise for the day, so figuring a base price is not too tough: the price of gas to get you there, the price of renting your camera, lenses and lights (and whatever else you have) for the day, and the price of your time for editing the work, among perhaps a few more considerations.  It takes a while, but is pretty simple.

When, on the other hand, the work is your own, and you want to sell it to others, it's difficult.  Because it's a photograph, it's very easily replicated, unless paintings, which have to be original to be worth much, and so quantity comes into play.  The time you spent setting up and visiting and revisiting the spot to get the perfect picture also has to be considered.  It comes down to how much it's worth to you, and how cheap it is, considering how many other people are selling posters of their photographs.  I suppose it also has to be nice enough to hang on a wall, as well.

Our work today.

Frank

His note: Part of a duct tape roll.

Shannon

Her note: This is what we will be wearing for Boxing Day.

(Shoes?)

My photo

I was mostly in non-public places today, and so the chance of whipping out my big boy 7D was very small.  Instead, I'm choosing this blurry shot of some dried peppers in honour of the crazy people from Black Friday, choosing to pepperspray other people in the face to get at stupid things that happen to be cheap for that particular day, as opposed to buying it six months earlier when it's on sale for the same price.

I'm half looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment