Monday 28 November 2011

"Received an email today saying Canon may announce a new lens on or around December 6, 2011." - 365 Project, Day 273

Let's pretend, for a simple moment, there is a photograph.  (There may be more than one, to be true, but in this particular thought we will concentrate on simply one.)  Let's take this photograph and postulate it is the best photograph ever taken, ever, of anything - unequivocally, objectively, unquestionably the best.  (Such a thing, obviously, is quite impossible, but this being my own personal thought experiment, humour me and don't resist this point.)  The one caveat of this thought is that no one has yet seen this picture.

How would the community of worldly (and not-so-worldly, but still pretty talented) photographers react?  The obvious: they would discuss this photograph and try to view it.  The not-as-obvious: would they alter their workflow?  Will they stop their work until the photograph has a viewing, or will it push them to strive for better quality?  Will it simply, on the other hand, do nothing, having photographers say their photos reflect their own life, and simply brush off this perfect photograph.  Personally, I don't think it would change my output too much, though I would like to see this magical be-all-end-all piece of work.

Here's our perfect work for the day.

Frank

His note: One of my favorite Tweetys.

Shannon

Her note: My neighbour's Christmas lights.

My work

I was trying to show how dark it was this morning.  I shot this at the settings I usually shoot at in the mornings, ISO100 at f/8 and 1/160 of a second.  For those who care, it would be properly exposed if I pushed it two and a half stops brighter.  It's been more or less the same for two days, and I'm curious know the next time the sun will show itself.

Let's also pretend tomorrow is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment