Monday 21 November 2011

"Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness." - 365 Project, Day 266

When I was travelling through the Philippines, I noticed something somewhat disheartening.  This country is very picturesque, with mountains, meadows and lush forests.  However, every time you see human contact - a village, a house or even a shack - there is garbage everywhere along the roads.  This is not merely junk by the side of the road to be picked up by the city; this is pollution.

I keep thinking this contrast of pretty and gross would make a nice series of shots, and if not get people to help the Philippines, at least consider how to help their own city, or at least neighborhood.  This is the power of a simple photograph (or, in some cases, a few of them).  This is someone my intention with my picture today: it's nothing big, but it is garbage by the side of the road.

Here are also the happier things that Frank and Shannon shot today.

Frank

His note: Man from UNCLE in a case.

Shannon

Her note: Roezell was shooting down some helicopters today.

Pat

I somehow found it interesting that this toilet became a de facto garbage can simply by being out in the street.  There were garbage bags near it, but a few people didn't seem to care much about that little fact.  It's not too much of a big deal, given all of this will be picked up in a day, but it could easily be much worse than this, and become that way very quickly.

Like I said yesterday, I think I'll like tomorrow, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment