Thursday 24 November 2011

"Photography concentrates one's eye on the superficial. For that reason it obscures the hidden life which glimmers through the outlines of things like a play of light and shade. One can't catch that even with the sharpest lens." - 365 Project, Day 269

Andre Brenton said that surrealism tried to combine elements of the conscious and subconscious worlds together.  How often do dreams affect photography?  For that matter, how easy would that be.  I've had dreams and written film scripts based on them.  I've had strange happens in my dreams.  I've never been photographically inspired by my dreams.

I suppose it depends on the dream, and whether or not you have the opportunity to replicate this kind of dream.  Dave LaChappelle is known for some wacky shots, and I'm sure his dreams have at least partly influenced some of his work, but how much of photography is pushed by unconscious thoughts?

Here's what we shot today, whether influenced by dreams or not.

Frank

His note: My attempt at drawing Einstein's funny moment.

(You mean his trying to disprove quantum mechanics wasn't funny enough?  What, too geeky?)

Shannon

She had no inspiration today, so she took a shot of my shot from yesterday.

My shot from today

I wanted this picture to look overprocessed and I think I accomplished that.  The day was extremely dark from morning to evening and so I had to do a lot to brighten up this image.  I'm trying to evoke a dreamy feel, though I think I'm failing in that aspect.  I am happy with the overall look of the picture, considering the original image.

I'm really happy that I actually got a Franz Kafka quote during this project.  I find it strange, but I'm happy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment