Monday 5 September 2011

"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words." - 365 Project, Day 189

One advantage of handling all the pictures of this blog is that I can get to see what Frank and Shannon send me, and today that served me, as Shannon's picture gave me the inspiration to shoot what I ended up shooting.

I've written this before, but to be completely redundant, I'll send you to the earliest surviving photograph ever taken again.  It was taken in 1826, and is a view of of rooftops in Saint-Loup-de-Varennes.  It was an 8-hour exposure and even then the picture is quite vague in its representation.  Film, emulsion, lenses and other various bits of equipment has gotten better over the years to make things slightly clearer.

One fun thing you can do with a camera with its own bellows, like in Shannon's picture today, or a medium-format camera, is you have a built-in tilt-shift lens.  A good quality tilt-shift lens is insanely expensive (roughly $2700 for Canon's 24mm tilt-shift lens, for example), and these cameras do the same thing thanks to their construction.

In any case, back on topic.  Here is our collective output today.

Frank

His note: Control buttons on the driver's side of my car.  I particularly like the mirror adjustment buttons.

Shannon

Her note: Wonder our pics would look like if we took them with this camera.

Pat

My note: Taking inspiration from Shannon's picture, I assume this is more or less what a picture with that camera would look like.  Granted, I might be completely off, but it seems relatively accurate.  I had fun editing this to make it look old.  As for the subject matter, it was a bit tough to find something that would reflect the age of the picture, but this is a good pick.  When I was really young, I used to walk up and down this hill with my parents and tell them that the hill was heavy to walk on.

I hope to find the same kind of inspiration tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment