Tuesday 6 September 2011

"Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like." - 365 Project, Day 190

Any art form is, arguably, more about aesthetics than actual literal appeal.  Something that looks nice is pretty to look at, but something that brings up a feeling - any feeling - elicits a deeper connection, and has a better chance of prolonging the memory of that something.

Photography, to me, is simple and makes it easier to create such a something, because it directly copycats reality.  I have no talent for writing music, painting, drawing and I don't even want to tackle sculpture.  All I have to do is look around - and I'm a curious fellow - and press a button.  Anything that feels interesting to me should at least make an interesting photo, right?

Here's what's interesting today.

Frank

His note: While Pat was practicing parallel parking I took this shot.  Never noticed the bee until I downloaded the image.

Shannon

Her note: While I was making dinner I was watching all the bubbles.

My photo

I didn't really see anything terribly exciting today.  I would have preferred a longer zoom to get a slightly more claustrophobic feel, but I'll take this.  I wanted a kind of jungle of pylons and potholes.  The traffic pylons are not too numerous, which is why I would have preferred a longer zoom.

Tomorrow, I feel like grabbing my camera and memory cards, leaving my place and not coming back until my cards are all full.

No comments:

Post a Comment