Monday 26 September 2011

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase." - 365 Project, Day 210

It's been said a thousand times before but the gist of this is that the photographer makes the photograph, not the camera.  It's sad to see so many people buying very good cameras, expecting them to take great pictures, when they have no idea how to use the camera and no intention to learn.  I'm not sure if they realise that great photos re made and not just snapped.

I've heard so many stories of someone buying a camera because their friends went on vacation and has such tremendous pictures, while on their last vacation, their little point-and-shoot pictures didn't even come close to looking as nice.  Well, the camera makes very little difference.  The friend's experience and willingness to sit down and learn the craft makes a lot more of a difference than the camera used.  By the same token, I've also heard stories of people buying better camera because they couldn't do what they wanted with their previous camera, and learning how to use it, ending up very happy with their purchase.  Everybody has to start somewhere, but, it seems, not everybody realises that.

Here's what we ended up with today.

Frank

His note: Could it be?  A hobbit house?

Shannon

Her note: Mmm peanut butter sandwich.

My picture

I've taken a few pictures like this before (though didn't post them on this blog), but I've never been on this street.  I like the angle of the houses, and though it looks lopsided, it's level.  I guess I might also like it if the whole bottom half were black, I like the very small reflections off the cars.

I'm not holding a lot of stock in tomorrow.  I don't think it's going to be particularly bad, I just don't think it'll be particularly creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment