Sunday 11 September 2011

"Photography, fortunately, to me has not only been a profession but also a contact between people – to understand human nature and record, if possible, the best in each individual." - 365 Project, Day 195

A link in the chain that is essential in becoming a better snapshoter is the process of, for lack of a better term, having your pictures ripped apart by people far more talented than you are.  This process is called "criticism" and is essential in expanding your own talent.  Feeling inadequate and desiring to be borderline-alcoholic seems to be the goal of every artist, and the fast and most thorough way of achieving that goal is exposing your work to much more experienced and knowledgeable individuals than yourself.

Now, such naked exposure is likewise the most direct method of learning simple (and not-so-simple) flaws in your oeuvre.  Mistakes/inadequacies in composition, exposure, focus and, most importantly, meaning, are simple things that a new pair of eyes can pinpoint, especially if you count yourself in the "wanting to learn" pile.  It is a harsh mistress, but a necessary one.  After all, if, from the start, there is nothing to learn, then why pursue it?

Any comments?

Frank

His note: The days are getting shorter, the evenings getting cooler, and it won't be long I won't be able to wear these anymore.

Mandy

Her note: My friend the wasp fell prey to my arch-nemesis: The Spider!

Shannon

Her note: Looks like I have my own salad.

Myself

I'm not sure what I was going for when I took this picture, and even in post I was kind of lost.  I couldn't find any overly interesting look for it, or any look for that matter.  There's something missing.

This week is getting a bit long and I need quality time to do something I wish to do, like eat jelly beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment