Friday 2 September 2011

"The photographer should suffer, not the audience." - 365 Project, Day 186

I can very much appreciate this thought.  Throughout my years, I've suffered through many a horrid piece of celluloid.  For clarification purposes,  random Ed Wood or Roger Corman vehicles are not my intended targets (as they are, in their own way, quite entertaining).  I am more thinking of such vapidness as Atom Age Vampire, Demon Hunter and Food of the Gods (and *shutter* its sequel).  Watching these things, I was looking forward to the commercials, for that meant time was actually going forward, and also because they provided a greater entertainment value than the badly-acted, badly-written, badly-directed messes they were supporting.

Photography, like these, should be similar.  Every photograph should project some entertainment value to its viewer.  They should not make the viewer ponder their value and make them want to prod their temporal lobe through their ears.  They should create an aesthetic experience from start to finish, and fill the viewer with a sense of glee and wonder.  The photographer should be the one contorted, ridiculed and bored stiff, trying to catch that magical microsecond that will make everybody smile.

Here are our little moments of happiness, except Frank's, for now, at least.

Shannon

Her note: Loved the sky tonight.

My picture

I didn't have much of a chance to snap something today, but I did like the way this looked.  I've probably taken  a couple dozen pictures of this part of the street, and probably posted one or two to this blog, but I how little the light projects into the darkness.

Tomorrow should be more of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment