Friday 29 April 2011

"You are a pest, by the very nature of that camera in your hand." - 365 Project, Day 60

I was walking down the street a few days ago and saw a construction site, with a few workings standing next to a big backhoe, looking into a great big hole in front of them.  I loved the scene and took a picture.  The foreman (or someone similar) aggressively accosted me, ordering me to delete the picture I just took, saying he didn't ask me to take a picture.  "What's his problem?" I thought.  Today, as I was taking a picture of the flower in my submission, I was crouched and intent on getting the angle I wanted.  As I looked up, I saw a young boy (about 6 or 7) on his bicycle, looking at me semi-strangely, probably wondering why I was taking a picture of this small, lonely flower.

I wonder how many people take pictures and feel silly when they realise people are looking at them, especially if it's a picture of something strange, like a lonely, almost-wilting flower.  I know that, with street photography, people will get overly annoyed.  (As a side note, when helping my friend with her video resume, I took a short video of a younger gentlemen playing his guitar on a busy street corner.  Upon walking down the street after shooting this, an old (crazy) lady mumbled (to me? to herself?) about me taking pictures and going to hell because of it - at least, I think she said that.  She was, after all, mumbling.)  It is a strange feeling, though, when you're doing your own thing and someone looks at you, as if to say, 'what are you doing?', with either innocent (or malicious) eyes.

Unfortunately, Mandy has to take a hiatus from the project because of various things, but I wish her the best and hope she can get back to it very soon.

Frank

His note: I didn't know trees went to jail?  Looking for textures to shoot I found what used to be a tree growing between a window and its security screen.  How often does that happen, I wondered?  But it does make for a provocative shot.  The more I look at it the more it feels like an inmate in his cell leaning into the bars with his arms hanging over the cross bars - we've all seen those pictures.  Wish I had a better camera, the photo would have been far better.

Shannon

Her note: I was on my way to work this morning and looked up and saw a face on the window!

(I've been on this bus before.  I have pretty much the same picture!)

Me

This is probably the most processed picture I've had on this project to date, but when I saw the flower on the ground, I just saw this exact image in my head, very dark, with very bright yellow and the strong vignetting.  I have to say I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out, regardless of it's actually a good manipulation job or not, and this is one of two pictures I had to fight over to pick today.

Tomorrow will be different and let's see how processed or pure the pictures will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment