Sunday 17 April 2011

"A camera alone does not make a picture. To make a picture you need a camera, a photographer and above all a subject. It is the subject that determines the interest of the photograph." - 365 Project, Day 48

I remember watching a tutorial video of someone taking a long exposure photo.  He was taking a picture of the sunset at a beach.  His main conundrum was that the bottom of his frame was missing something, given it was only beach.  To frame the bottom of the picture, he ultimately chose the lapping waves, which created a white line given the long exposure shot.  He had a clear idea of what he wanted.  What if one is just taking a picture for the sake of taking a picture?

Is there a subject in a landscape, or would the whole picture be considered the subject?  By definition the subject is the focal point - the point of attention - of the, in this case, photo.  Some shots are particularly busy, and nothing seems to poke its head out towards your eyeball.  For that matter, if the shot is very vague (as in my picture of the out-of-focus streetlights from a couple of weeks back), would there still be a subject?  Is it possible to simply take a picture without a subject?  Imagining that would happen, would it be a good picture?  Perhaps, as Man Ray was indicating, a picture without a subject, is not a very interesting picture to begin with, and taking a picture for the sake of taking a picture is an ultimately fruitless endeavor.

Luckily all the pictures today have a clear subject, except, of course, my own picture.

Frank

His note: Went to Canadian Tire (CTC) early this morning to beat the crowds and in front of this particular CTC there is a french fry stand. Next to the chip stand these tables were bound and locked together with chains to secure them from thieves, I suppose. The winds today are very strong and gusty so I didn`t want to spend much time outside the comfort of the car. I took this shot for 2 reasons, one: who would want to steal them and two: who would want to sit at them to eat?  (Please forgive me for saying those things.)  In any event, I thought the tables were an interesting subject for today's shot.

Mandy

Her note: An interesting tree, RIP.

Shannon

Her note: Check out the ex snowflakes on my windshield.

(The weather has be pretty horrible in the past few days.)

My picture

My note: Walking to work today some pretty nasty-looking water was flowing down the side of the street, creating interesting patterns.  I boosted the contrast to separate the colours to make the patterns stand out.

I wonder what will be shot tomorrow.  I doubt it'll be anything particularly stunning, but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment