Monday 25 April 2011

"No matter how advanced your camera you still need to be responsible for getting it to the right place at the right time and pointing it in the right direction to get the photo you want." - 365 Project, Day 56

My picture today is not my usual type of picture, as it's a very everyday picture.  It's an old camera; about as old as I am, in fact.  Where I work, we accept things for recycling and at times we get some pretty interesting items.  Taking a trip down nostalgia road is always a fun time!

The camera, as you can see, is a Kodak Tele-Ektralite 600.  This bad boy set you back roughly US$67 from 1980 to 1982, and had 2 fixed zoom settings (22 and 44mm, with constant f/8.).  The button on the left facing the camera is the shutter button, with a tiny red button in its middle, which controlled the metering system when taking a picture.  You see the zoom switch right below that.  On the top left is the viewfinder and the middle is the film chamber.  The funny looking thing swinging out behind the camera is a built-in case, securing the camera.

It used a very particular (but quite popular) kind of film, 110 film.  It was only 17x13mm in size (even smaller than current crop sensor DSLRs).  As far as I can tell, it came in its own plastic casing and didn't need any rewinding because of the type of case used.  It was produced from 1972 to 2009 (!).

Interestingly (and coincidently) enough, Shannon's first camera was one of these.  On to today's pictures.

Frank

His note:  It's a fake!

Mandy

Her note: Stairs + Mandy = No new picture today. One from yesterday

Shannon

Her note: Is this not a cereal?

(No comment.  Except to say that I want this.)

Me

My note is pretty much my whole post today, so I guess I can skip this.

Tomorrow should be another nice day and if this keeps up, I'll have a metric f-ton of street shots in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment