Monday 18 April 2011

"I'm not a particularly verbose person. I think that's why I like taking pictures... they speak for themselves." - 365 Project, Day 49

Sometimes, I just take pictures because they look nice.  This is vaguely the same logic that explains the popularity of Rebecca Black's Friday (and, quite possibly, every other single song she dumps on the internet).  There may be a subject, though what that subject may be could easily be a total mystery.

I was walking around with Mandy today and as I was taking a picture, she said that I saw things she didn't.  Whether those things are interesting or not is completely debatable (and whoever would side with 'interesting' would no doubt lose), but the point is that some things just simply look interesting without meaning anything.

In the past few weeks, I've taken a couple dozen photos of the cloudy sky.  One of them I've posted on this blog, one of them I've put up on my Facebook page, but the rest are just interesting to me.  I don't know why that piece of sky attracted me, but it did, and hopefully others will be just as fascinated by it (or if they're only half as interested by it as I am, then I'll still be happy).  My goal is for my pictures to just say something without my explaining why I took them - by the way, simply disregard my explanation of why I took my picture today - or to simply look pretty.  Does something that looks nice necessarily need explaining?  A thing that is aesthetically pleasing can be a pleasure in itself, without any other reason for being enjoyable.

So here are the aesthetics of the day.

Frank
His note: This is like 'Where`s Waldo?' but instead it's 'Where' are 2 Tweetys?'

Mandy

Her note: ...and now we see the elusive street photographer getting a taste of his own medicine.

(Great picture, though, and not just because I'm in it.)

Shannon

Her note: Didn't know you could drink dandelions!

My pic

Considering Mandy's pic today, I had to put a street shot I took.  This boy was playing with the loose cable against the house and I had to take a picture of him.  Unfortunately (as is bound to happen), he saw my not-so-stealthy attempt to photograph the scene (even though I was taking the picture at hip-level) and stopped playing with it for the shot.  For those who care, there's considerable editing done to this photo given it was terribly underexposed when I took it.

Tomorrow will absolutely bring more pictures to this blog, but whether they're street or not, come again and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment