Monday 11 April 2011

"The camera cannot lie, but it can be an accessory to untruth." - 365 Project, Day 42

For me, the day started at 5:30 in the morning when a thunderstorm decided smear my window with lightning and fill my apartment with crushing noise.  Lucky as I am, as soon as I got my tripod and gear outside on my balcony, the storm had gotten bored with me and had moved on, taking both thunder and lightning with it.  As such, I do not, today, have a spectacular picture of a lightning bolt tearing up the sky.  What I had to show for all this work were soggy hair and a wet shirt.

This whole ordeal does fire up a couple of neurons.  Everybody has seen pictures from National Geographic and the like showcasing insane angles from ridiculous heights and depths.  One wonders what danger some photographers will go (or have gone) through to get a good angle.  How many deaths are attributed to stupid photographers each year who, looking through their viewfinder for that perfect shot, casually walk off a cliff?

On the other side of that coin, how many shots are not dangerous at all, but only seem that way thanks to zoom, wide-angle and tilt-shift lenses twisting and crumpling perspective and distance?  I will also not even name that piece of software that alters photographs in every imaginable way.  The point is, I don't consider myself the safest person in the world, but I do know what a good photograph is worth, and if I have to take the picture in the middle of a busy highway to get the perfect angle, I will at least wait until a slight lull before I go play in traffic.

Frank

His note: As they say, today is the first day of the rest of your life.  It is true for this couch.  I have purchased a new one and this one goes to a charitable organization today.  I hope whoever gets it enjoys its comfort as much as I did.  I chose a black and white (& grey) theme for this shot as it is a sad day and the couch is old.

Mandy

Her note: One of these spudz just ain't like the other...

Shannon

Her note: Hmmmmm what's wrong with this pic? Guess they don't believe in doors.

(Epic architecture fail.)

Pat

I tend to stay out of politics so this picture has no message in terms of who to vote for.  What I do like is the semi-futility of this advertising endeavor.  Why put one poster when a million will do, especially if your rival will do the same?  I was going to take more pictures to eliminate the people on the right side, but I liked the framing with the person half in the picture.  Other than the fact that this piece of street will never really be totally void of people at that time of day, I just like her walking in the frame like that.

Today was somewhat windy, but an absolutely gorgeous day.  I took another picture of the gorgeous blue sky (that I didn't put up because I already have one of the sort).  I hope tomorrow will be similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment