Tuesday 12 April 2011

"I am always surprised when I see several cameras, a gaggle on lenses, filters, meters, et cetera, rattling around in a soft bag with a complement of refuse and dust. Sometimes the professional is the worst offender!" - 365 Project, Day 43

The most expensive commercially-available lens I have ever seen (a video of) is a Canon 1200mm f/5.6L lens.  The thing was 36lbs and was being sold used at B&H for US$99000 (and, funnily enough, had a minimum focusing distance of 46 feet!).  Nikon once produced a 300mm f/2 lens that weighed a little under 17lbs (and sold on eBay a few weeks ago for about US$12000).  Price here is not my focus, but rather weight is.

Having a great lens is a good thing, I won't say anything different, but, again, how far will someone go to get the picture they want?  The Nikkor 300 f/2 must be one hell of a lens to shoot with, but at 17lbs, there's a slight level of inconvenience to lugging the thing around.  I've hand-held a lens that weighs 2lbs and on my 7D that really twisted my wrist in weird ways sometimes.  I can't imagine anybody hand-holding a 70-200 for any kind of period longer than an hour or so.  Some of the equipment some people use is just crazy.

Today's pictures show none of this weight problem, as I doubt the heaviest camera used today weight more than 1.5lbs.

Frank

His note: No comment.

Mandy

Her note: I really loved this old beetle. When in doubt, get creative!

Shannon

Her note: Had no idea what to take today, so I snapped a pic of the supplies on my desk.

Pat

A few of things about the picture.  I like the colour of the sky.  I like the way the branches come down over me.  Lastly, I wanted the show the buds finally growing.

I will post something else tomorrow, obviously.  See tomorrow to see what that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment