Friday 1 April 2011

"Minolta makes the best bodies, Nikon makes the best lenses, Canon makes the best compromise." - 365 Project, Day 32

To begin this post, I will say that I will forgo any lame April Fool's jokes.  Mostly because I haven't really thought of today as April Fool's Day, and also because I don't have anything meaningful and witty to fake.

Today was the least coldest day of 2011 so far in Ottawa and though the sun was being masked by clouds of varying thicknesses, I did enjoy walking around.  Even if it wasn't a perfect day, it had its own charm and was relatively full of life.  Thanks to the clouds' insistence in doing what they did today, the colours were somewhat drab, but little critters and things running around were certainly not lacking.  I think the weather is finally realising it has to play nice and let animals procreate.  Indeed, it was a little charming watching squirrels chase each other around trees and ducks walking along together.  I got some decent wildlife shots, though I would have wished for an actual telephoto lens.  I saw a badger walking around, which isn't as common as, say, pigeons or squirrels, though he was extremely jumpy.  I tried walking around to get a better angle and he quickly scurried away to his hole.

That's the problem I've found; most animals don't seem to want to cooperate with photographers (and this is where telephoto lenses are particularly handy).  This is far too inconsiderate of them.  I don't really need a picture of your backside, your face is a lot more interesting.  I am also far too impatient to get a monopod and be stationary for any period of time.  This is probably why I don't usually dip my foot in the wildlife pond.  Birds and squirrels don't find me important enough to help me with my photography.  In your own experience, how many great shots of the various wildlife in your region would you have had if the animals had only been nice enough to pose for at least one shot?

Having said that, my picture is actually not of any animal (though I had 3 of those I was eying to put here today). Instead, I chose a shot I quickly took of some stairs.  See below.

Frank
His note: Coat hangers.

Mandy

Her note: Like the look of this photo, specially in black n white. It's our mail stack.

Shannon

Her note: As I was on my way to work this morning, I looked down at the seat in front of me and saw the following....wondering if that person was hungry!

My picture

Oh, what I would do to have a wide-angle lens.  This was shot at 18mm (on a cropped sensor), but I would have loved the distortion created with a 12 or even 10mm focal length.  Just some stairs leading up to a street, from a little park.

I have no idea what tomorrow is supposed to be like and though I could easily check a very educational website about that ignorance, I am too lazy and indifferent to check it right now.  I'm sure the pictures tomorrow will answer that concern for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment