Monday 4 April 2011

"I just think it's important to be direct and honest with people about why you're photographing them and what you're doing. After all, you are taking some of their soul." - 365 Project, Day 35

What does photography try to capture?  What, and this question is only half-rhetorical, does photography try to accomplish?  Does it merely try to capture some cute little moments in time (as my picture today), or does it propose somewhat of a greater ideal?  Does a portrait capture someone whole or simply a piece of them?  How much of a person can it capture?  Pretend I take a picture of a landscape and everybody likes it, does it mean more than a picture of my cat that everybody likes?

Working out the purpose of photography is somewhat of a moot point, I found.  It carries as much relevance as any other medium, to be hones; it's there as a hobby, or a form of memory, or a profession.  At worst it's a slight waste of time, but at best it transmits a deep message from the photographer to the viewer.  Pictures can be moments that are to be forgotten, or create a certain timeless mood to be remembered.  There's not special about photography comparing with any other medium, and is only as relevant as your outlook on life will allow it to be.  In the existential sense, it serves no grand purpose, but then again nothing else does.  In a more immediate, practical sense, it does what I've mentioned a few sentences ago.

Like with music, film, books, and, quite frankly, even hair cuts, some pictures are more timeless than others.  Having said that, is there such a thing a pop photography, or fad photography?  I'll look into that.

Here's the timelessness that April 4th will provide you.

Frank

His note: Didn't want to go outside today so this is a shot of one of my lamps.  The bulb is halogen and it's light is quite white.  However for some reason the reflective dome came out golden.

Mandy

Her note: It was a very squishy day, rain falling, mud doing what it does best. I generally like the look of raindrops in any form, and the side mirror on my dad's car had them in plenty. I like the orangy, red bokeh in the background. It adds to the blue, its complimentary colour of the car.

Shannon

Her note: Thought these salt and pepper shakers were kind of neat.

Pat

What I have to say:  I apologise for the shaky picture, but I saw these kids playing around a fountain and had to take a picture.  Here, they're looking at the middle of the fountain, that spews water up about 30 feet in the air every couple of minutes.  I would have taken more pictures (and better ones, though I did want the kids to be blurry), but I didn't want to creep their parents out.  So I'm happy with this one.

Tomorrow should see the same sort of weather, so we'll see what results occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment