Saturday 4 June 2011

"The whole point of taking pictures is so that you don’t have to explain things with words." - 365 Project, Day 96

I've been thinking about this particular thing for a few fortnights now, and I am not positive as to what the answer may be.  It is always recommended that every photographer should have their own style.  Indeed, the recognition of one's work by association from seeing other of one's work is very flattering.  It is also wanted, I believe, that one should have a nice variety in one's work.  Is it possible, then, for one to have an overarching style even though one may shoot any number of completely different subjects?

Is it possible for one person to see, say, a shot of a flowerbed, one of a church, and one of a portrait of a famous person and say, hey, those were all taken by the same person, simply by virtue of the way they look? I've seen a few galleries from a few different (semi?)pro photographers and their landscapes look nice, for example, but each picture looks more similar than the next.  (To be fair, there's nothing particularly ugly about these photographs, but they would all have the same effect hanging on anybody's vestibule wall.)  I've taken many pictures of many things, but would you know that I took them if you saw them all?

Another batch of pictures that I really enjoy.  There's nothing particularly artistic inherent in them, but they all have nice composition, framing and exposure.

Frank

His note: Today was Ride for Dad day in Ottawa.  It is a motorcycle ride to raise funds for prostate cancer research. It was the most successful Ride for Dad day so far for the Ottawa ride.  Congratulations to all organizers and participants. There were over 1500 motorcycles in the ride today and this photo is only a small part of the participants.

Shannon

Her note: Another shot of the sky. I'm really enjoying the view of the clouds.

Myself

This is a bird on a wire.  I liked the lines the telephone lines created.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.  I somehow doubt I'll have a great picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment