Sunday 12 June 2011

"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words." - 365 Project, Day 104

Macro photography, though very pretty, is extremely difficult to do well.  The strict definition is that there needs to be a 1 to 1 ratio between what you see in your screen, and its size on the sensor (or film frame).  As such, only very tiny things can, in the strictest sense, be considered part of macro photography.  Now, most people will be a bit more lenient and consider any extreme close-up some sort of macro photography.

Interestingly enough, my two favorite types of photography are of the very big (landscapes) and of the very small (macro).  I would love to have a macro lens, as I know I'd use it a lot.  I enjoy seeing the amount of detail of the very small, how close one can get before microscopes are needed (which, I suppose, is the ultimate example of macro photography).

Oddly enough today, neither Shannon nor I has a picture of the sky or sunset.

Frank

His note: A single ray of light shining though the clouds after supper tonight.  I could not miss the opportunity of grasping it.

Shannon

Her note: Tried taking a pic while the train was moving today.

Myself

I was almost late for work this morning, but I had to stop and take this picture of the dew on the blades of grass.  I was hoping for something more interesting, like a better patch of grass or a bug, but I'll be content with this, given the condition of the surrounding lawn.

I have no strong feelings about tomorrow.  We'll see how that turns out.

PS.  Trying to find a quote specifically on macro photography by an actual recognised photographer is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment