Tuesday 24 May 2011

"You know what a camera is? A mirror with memory." - 365 Project, Day 85

Tomorrow, for those who give even slightly more than a certain part of a rat's anatomy, is Annual Planking Day!  Planking is a strange photography movement - I'll be nice and refer to it as a movement instead of a fad, which is probably more accurate - that started in the land where, I suppose, looking at kangaroos and wallabies loses its appeal pretty quickly.  I only heard about this about two weeks ago, and it seemed a bit strange.  The more I've read about it, the less impressed I am with it.  It's a movement where people act like a plank (i.e. place themselves face down with their arms next to their bodies) and take pictures of themselves in the various places, the more outrageous, the better.  A few people have been arrested because of it (who would have thought, placing themselves on top of a police cruiser?), and someone has actually died (who would have thought, planking on a seven-story balcony at 4:30am?).

It may seem to some that I am a little on the flippant side when it comes to talking about this.  That is because I am.  I would give it more respect if the main contributors of this movement didn't seem inebriated when participating in this activity.  (I would also take it more seriously if, when doing something stupid, people wouldn't overreact when something stupid results from that initial stupid act.)  It seems to be an activity that would be a good idea when rightly smashed, and only when rightly smashed.  I'm sure that some planking photos could be interesting, given the possibilites, but unfortunately nobody - neither the participants nor the viewers - seem to be exploiting this to its full artistic potential (if, that is, there is any).

(EDIT, 25/5/11: DigitalRev has used planking as the subject in one of their videos.  Whether you believe that brings it more credibility depends on how you view DigitalRev in the photography world.  I will say that whether you like planking or not, the video will not sway you the other way.  I will say that some of the pictures are pretty good.)

Having said that, no planking photos today here.  Only a few rather mundane, non-controversial pictures.  (Although those fruits may poke an eye out, so I'd be careful if I were you, Shannon.)

Frank

His note: Went for a drive to Westboro via the Queensway and Island Park Drive this morning.  I couldn't resist taking this shot. Nothing special about it, just a beautiful sunny day!

Shannon

Her note: Went out today and found these weird chinese fruit.

(Durians!  I've always wanted to try those.  They stink up a storm but are apparently pretty good.)

Myself

I was out near the parliament building helping a friend with reshoots for her video resume and decided to take this shot.  It was mostly for the clouds and sky, but at least I have the excuse that the Peace Tower is included.

Tomorrow should see the same kind of pictures, though I may be wrong.  Who knows.  We'll have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment