Friday 13 May 2011

"The photographic image... is a message without a code." - 365 Project, Day 74

In the past couple of days, I haven't had much inspiration.  I don't really know why, given I've seen interesting things.  Either those things didn't really inspire me, or I couldn't think of any interesting way to photograph them.  There's nothing wrong with the world around me - there are literally thousands things I could photograph each and every day - I just have seen the right thing.

I suppose I can take this opportunity to give a few tips.  I'll keep this simple and stick to making colours pop in sunsets and some daytime shots.  In sunsets, the one thing to do is underexpose the shot.  When you make it darker on purpose, it makes the colours very rich and deep.  The blues and oranges especially benefit from this.  During the day, the opposite is sometimes true.  When you overexpose a little, and make the picture lighter than it should be, the greens especially come out and play.  In my picture today, the blue was a bit brighter but didn't have the deep richness of a sunset that I didn't want.  It make the sky very nice while keeping the clouds white.  Simple enough.

I really the pictures today, save my own; Frank's (even if a bit tight) is a very nice example of street photography and Shannon's is pretty cute and very day-to-day, but notices something instead of just seeing it.  Mine, by contrast, is somewhat bland.  Like I say in my description, I couldn't find the right way to right way to photograph it.

Frank

His note: I was out running errands today and stopped in a parking lot way down Bank Street. I had noticed the cloud of dust before I drove in the lot but didn't really know what caused it. I found out.

Shannon

Her note: Last minute picture. Couldn't think of anything so I took a pic of my lady bug cooking timer.

My blahness of the day

I couldn't find any inspiration today, either.

I will make it a point of looking around for things to photography tomorrow, and I'll hopefully have something better.

(On a side note, I tried very hard to find the actual unabridged quote from the title, but I could simply not do it.  I believe it an idea written over a few pages because otherwise someone would have quoted it fully.)

No comments:

Post a Comment