Friday 27 May 2011

"I like photographs which leave something to the imagination." - 365 Project, Day 88

Abstractness in photography (or, for that, matter, in any sort of media) always somewhat annoyed me.  Maybe it's the left-brain-ness in me but I never understood art that didn't have a clear subject.  If it was strange, it was strange, and I didn't really understood what it meant.  Oh, it may be pretty to look at, but it didn't make much sense otherwise.  I suppose more room for interpretation leaves more room for discussions/arguments, which is good for the creator of the photo/art piece/what-have-you, but, if you're cynical, you can also say it leaves more room for elitism, with people calling themselves experts saying they're right, even though, coming back to the first part of this sentence, there is room for interpretation.

This is probably why I'm attracted to street photography more than some other types.  When you're taking a picture of someone on a street corner, it's pretty obvious what it is.  My photography is not generally abstract (except for today's example, ironically enough, which is literally street photography).  I tend to do landscapes a fair bit, and street.  To each their own, and if you understand the abstract, then all the power to you.

Today's pictures are pretty literal, which should please left-brainers.

Frank

His note: An exercise in brownish tones.

Shannon

Her note: Here's what you bought.

(I was thirsty.)

Me

Another day without much opportunity to shoot anything.  This is literally street photography, as I'm shooting rocks on a road being worked on.  Interesting look, I think.

Tomorrow, my goal is to have a black and white photo.  Let me qualify that: my goal is to have a half-decent black and white photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment