Saturday 28 May 2011

"One very important difference between color and monochromatic photography is this: in black and white you suggest; in color you state. Much can be implied by suggestion, but statement demands certainty… absolute certainty." - 365 Project, Day 89

Shooting in black and white is somewhat different than shooting in colour.  Colours, pretty obviously, are not so important.  What matters more are tonal relationships and contrast.  My picture today isn't the best example of black and white, but I love the feel, and the grittiness of it.  I'll inevitably have a better example later.

I tried shooting outside at night and nothing really interesting showed itself.  I'd need a much better camera to get a better result.  Everything that is too black or too bright will not look interesting, as there will be no detail.  When there are a lot of tones, there will be depth, as well.  A combination of the two will create a nice technical picture.  Black and white pictures are somewhat nostalgic, and are a lot more about the feeling than colour photographs.  Personally, I really enjoy black and white pictures that are somewhat grainy.  The have a nice atmosphere and just enhance that old-time feeling.

Here are today's pictures.  Nothing much to say about them.

Frank

His note: Went to a storage facility with my son and his girlfriend today.  While they were searching through their locker I took a walk to take photos. This one ended up being the most unique.  It kinda looks like fish bones.

Shannon

Her note: Didn't know what to take today so when I got home from work the look on my stressball made me laugh.

Me

Walking home and I saw this.  It turned out better than I thought.  I would have preferred slightly more contrast on the left side, but I love the amount of noise/grain that ended up in the shot.

I will attempt to have a better black and white picture tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment