Saturday 7 May 2011

"6. Don't think. (William Firebrace)" - 365 Project, Day 68

This rule should be pretty self-explanatory.  Thinking about a particular shot would very much go against the raw and in-the-moment nature of lomography.  Overthinking just takes too long and misses the essence of the moment.  You just have to shoot and ask questions later.

Part of the fun of photography (especially shooting with film) is to see what your picture will look like when you first see it.  Thinking about it too much just makes it clear what the picture will be before you actually see it.  I've especially enjoyed going through my pictures in the past few days because most of the time I don't take the time to properly compose them.  I just shoot from the hip, or an angle I think will be nice.  I don't usually look at them until later, and because I take so many, I don't really remember what I've shot.  (By the way, I'm not lost on the irony of explaining in too much detail a rule that says to not think.)

Shannon today had no idea what to take, so she just saw the maple leaf on her shirt, and took that.  That's what makes lomography great.  She probably wasn't going for that specifically, but the spirit is very well and alive.

Frank

His note: I like leather things.

Shannon

Her note: Proud to be Canadian.

Me

On the bus this morning some water was leaking from this lady's bag.  She either didn't seem to know, or care (or want to acknowledge it).  I just like the pattern the water created.

No comments:

Post a Comment