Tuesday 17 May 2011

"Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be." - 365 Project, Day 78

The advent of digital photography had turned anybody with a bad camera, but a stunning imagination, into a tremendous force to be reckoned with.  I only say this because, with editing programs, any photograph can  be cheated and manipulated, in more than one way.  HDR shots may spring to mind, though not the best example of what I'm trying to badly explain.

HDR images, for the most part, even the more subtle examples, are quite easily noticeable.  What I mean is more natural-looking manipulations.  My shot today may seem okay right, but I cheated the crap out of that RAW file.  It was not particularly sunny outside today, but 3pm is still 3pm, and a long exposure (say, 1/5th of a second in this case) will still be too bright, even at the lowest ISO and smallest aperture value (f/22, in this case).  In post-processing, I underexposed the picture by two whole stops, boosted the blacks, added as much recovery as I could and increased the contrast a fair ways to get the picture looking relatively natural.  I deliberately overexposed this picture far too much because I knew I could fix it later on.

My question is this: What tricks, then, when viewing a photograph online, has the photographer pulled?

I'm not the only deceitful one here today, as you'll read.

Frank

His note: Pat and I went for a drive today to Almonte and down the old Carp road. A great day.  It was nice being a passenger again.  Thanks for doing the driving, Pat. This photo was taken at the Almonte falls; however the reflection of the trunk is a creation. I masked the top trunk with some transparency and flipped it vertically.  Made a few adjustments and voila..

Shannon

Working with geeks will make you see things of this nature.

Me

This composition is a bit funny, and this is the not the best long-exposure shot ever, but I didn't have a neutral density filter and had to resort to tweaking the picture like I explained above.  I'm happy with the finished product, though I would have preferred if the middle part wasn't beyond recovery.  For the most part, I like this.

Tomorrow is supposed to be very rainy.  If it's not, I have ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment