Thursday 19 May 2011

"When you buy a 1/4-inch drill bit, what you really need is a 1/4-inch hole. Clients don't need photographers, they need photograph." - 365 Project, Day 80

Regardless of whether you edit your pictures or not, editing photos ultimately, for better or worse, does not make you a better photographer.  Talent is, after all, talent, and there's no substitute for it.  (I should point out, at this particular juncture, that I feel there is somewhat of an irony, talking to people about talent and (slightly below) style, when I myself seem to lack a little from column A, and a little from column B.)  (I also borrow/steal my jokes, in case you're curious.)

The talented can easily distinguish themselves through their style; whether heavily edited or not, good exposure and composition are semi-non-debatably universal.  Whether the picture has any importance/relevance for people around you (or, for that matter, yourself) does not change the fact that good framing is, after all, good framing.  Having a style distinguishes you from others, and talent brings attention to your work.  Hopefully, after a little while (and personal marketing) (and perseverance) the better photographers should get recognised and, perhaps, praised (though this leads to something perhaps contradictory I've said in the first few days of this project, which I'll leave for now).

Here are today's pictures.

Frank

His note: I've always been fascinated by welded tubes and especially welded corners. This one was exceptionally well sanded/finished. You can hardly tell it was welded.

Shannon

Her note: Loved the colors on this tree. Not much of a pic today after the evening I had.

(Shannon, this evening, had the great honour, and exceptional privilege, of being rear-ended by a total ass, who seemingly couldn't see a car two feet behind him in a parking lot.)

Me

My note: It was rainy again this morning, though the day ended on a slightly sunnier note, and I liked the reflection of the traffic light in the raindrops of the puddle.

We shall see what tomorrow brings, as I am not now, as I have never been, a psychic, and cannot predict my Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment