Wednesday 11 May 2011

"The camera looks both ways." - 365 Project, Day 72

This idea has been said approximately six million different ways, but I find the way in today's title to be the simplest and most elegant.  It is, well, inescapable, yet different for everybody.  Whatever that reality may be, the camera shows the reality of not only what the photographer imagines, but also of the photographer himself (or, herself, as the case may be).  Every photographer (well, every semi-serious photographer) aspires to have a certain style, for better or for worse.  A style that, when a viewer sees a photo, the viewer says, 'Oh, I know who shot that' simply by composition, lighting and subject matter, and without looking at any other information.

Even trying to emulate different movements, a photographer's work is inevitably skewed towards how they view the world, and will always remain somewhat distinctive (again, for better or worse).  I know what I like, and I will take pictures of that like through my own eyes, whether I want to or not.  It is something that is unintentional and subconscious, though not something that should be pushed away; indeed, because you know what you like (and, presumably, who you are), you should embrace and develop that like (and that are), in the hopes of making your style flourish.  It may or may not lead to bigger and better things, but it will certainly help develop who you are.

Having said that, I wonder what my style says about me.

Frank

His note: Let's go plant a garden, it's finally spring.

Shannon

Her note: What is this? A golf ball, the moon, a baseball or a mothball?

(I may be wrong, but I think it's a teenage hippo.)

Me

It was nice walking around with my 7D again after a little while and I took a few pictures at night.  It's strange to note how many people were waiting for the bus after 10pm.  In any case, I was trying to take a picture of that guy walking the lonely street but this minivan pulled up to the intersection and blocked my shot.  After swearing at him, I figured I could take a picture of it and the man and it turned out pretty well.

I am pretty happy about tomorrow.  For no other reason that I can chill on my balcony in the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment