Wednesday 16 March 2011

"Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow." - 365 Project, Day 16

I had a topic to talk about today, and it vaguely related to the title of today's post.  Unfortunately, I've forgotten what I wanted to speak my mind about.  I suppose that's better for the reader, because it probably wasn't all that interesting to begin with, given I've forgotten it and all.

Photographers are picky people, it seems.  I mean, why else would they shuck 35mm film to the side and create medium format cameras and 8x10 negatives?  Why else would companies create cameras with 80 megapixels, and with both focal plane and leaf shutter systems in one?  It's not just a case of the grass being greener (or keeping up with the Jonses, as the case may be).  It's a case of the grass being greener, and having more megapixels to prove it!  (Or, depending on the analogy you're following, having a cumulative megapixel count greater than what the Jonses have accumulated.)

To be fair, Ansel Adams would have never achieved the images he created with a Polaroid Instant Camera, and his strive for the perfect (and the bigger, to be sure) stemmed from his dissatisfaction with (I assume) Polaroid (and only Polaroid, though don't quote me on that).  Just when, however, will the numbers be big enough?  I suppose I should count myself lucky, in that I'm currently pretty happy with the equipment I have (though, to be fair, I don't shoot vast landscapes of the American West), and I've wanted to post more than simply 16 pictures up to now.  I wonder how long that will last, though, because maybe I'll take a better picture tomorrow, and I'll want better equipment the day after.

Today's pictures are glad very different from each other, and I like this because variety is something about life.

Frank

His note: I cannot believe how nature (in this case with a little help from man) always has an affinity for matching colours... I found this shot after leaving my dentist's office... it made me forget my visit.

Mandy

Her note: Today I went for a blood test with my father and happened to have brought my trusty camera with me. While he ran into the house to fetch a last minute item I caught my reflection in the door handle. It made for a very interesting photo, even though I do look a little like Igor aloft in the bell towers of Notre Dame

Shannon

Her note: As I was leaving for work this morning, I saw this icicle leaning up against my neighbours house.

Me


The creepy thing about this picture is not the tree, it's that I've walked by this tree literally a thousand times before and have never really noticed it.  The street lamp gave it an interesting glow, and though a little brightness might accentuate the Tim-Burton-esque quality of the picture, I think the darkness gives it a slightly scary feeling.

If you're Irish, I hope tomorrow is a lot of fun, and I'd be interesting to know how many green things will be on people's 365 project around the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment