Saturday 26 March 2011

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." - 365 Project, Day 26

What do you shoot, pray tell, when you have nothing to shoot?  Today was Earth Day, and in my looking for photographic opportunities, I told myself I was going to wander my neighborhood during Earth Hour in the hopes of snapping, well, whatever I found.  The slight problem was, well, the problem was plenty-fold, but I'll just mention two.  One, the people around here either didn't seem to know or didn't seem to care they were supposed to shut everything in their homes off.  My neighborhood's lumen output didn't differ much from any other 8:30-9:30 period during the year.  My second main gripe is that mother nature has decided to stay nippy a few extra days this Spring (which, by the way, is getting quite annoying, especially this late in March).

Alas, I don't really consider myself a creative person (which is more than likely the reason I prefer shooting landscapes and street photography over, say, portraits and fine art photography, and why I don't edit my pictures that much, if at all), which makes this weather-induced house arrest a little on the frustrating side of the spectrum of induced house arrests.  My living space is just so vast, and though I have tons of artifacts of varying practicality and usefulness, I am quickly running out of non-exterior things to shoot.  Mandy suggested I do some water drop photography, which is a nice idea, though knowing myself, my kitchen (which is where I would attempt to pull this off) would soon end up akin to a 'World's Deadliest Catch' episode, and my cat would not need to bathe himself for the day.

Therefore, I ask you again: what do you shoot when you have nothing to shoot?

Frank

His note: There are so many opportunities to take photos this time of year.  I was out walking close to home today (BTW that early morning wind was cold) and took several shots of this telephone pole.  This was the best (I think) of all of them.

Mandy

Perhaps a social commentary on the rising gas prices, or perhaps the faded colours want to recall a more primitive time when gas was abundant and cheap, and not totally a consideration when buying a new vehicle.  We will never know, as Mandy didn't really know what to write about for this picture.

Shannon

Her note: This brings back memories.

Me

If I wanted to be intellectual, I would remark on how I took this picture of the lights during Earth Hour and relate that to power consumption and the meaning of Earth Hour.  Actually, though I did take this during Earth Hour, I just thought these lights looked nice.

Ah, so that's what people photograph on a day like this.  I'll take that into consideration and take something more interesting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment