Tuesday 15 March 2011

"I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it." - 365 Project, Day 15

So I've heard before, time goes by quicker when you're having fun.  The problem with this is that, at least for percentage of the population that describes themselves as photographers (whether they may be or not), moments get lost.  Photographers have to slow down time and capture something that only lasts an instant.  When time flies by, instants don't seem so visible.  Being busy also distracts you from the world, and little things are missed.

Indeed, I left my apartment today at 9:30 in the morning and arrived home at roughly 8 in the evening.  (To be fair, this is far from a typical work day for me, but it so happens to fit perfectly for the day's topic, and not only because I chose the topic because of my lengthy work day.)  Unfortunately, I was hardly able to take pictures during that time, as I was busily working on various things that would still have still been done by others were I not there.  I took, I believe 5 pictures before coming home, and when I got home I only had the faintest idea of the picture I wanted today.  So the lesson today should be pretty self-evident (and no it's not to always look around for something, no matter what you're doing): inspiration only comes through deathly boredom!

A nice selection of pictures today and I especially enjoy Shannon's.

Frank


His note: I liked the texture of this sidewalk brick.

Mandy


Her note: Today I was in a bit of a rush to take the picture before tending to other plans. I took a few of this 'n that, and then my West Highland White Terrier, Apple, wandered into the kitchen and looked up at me. No other candidate photos had a chance. There is a small trick I use to get her to actually look at the camera. The mention of "Outside?" gets us a quick stare, longer if were lucky, and if we are really lucky we get the cutest little head tilt.
P.S I took this with my dad's 35mm 1.8... Good lens but it needs getting used to after years of being stuck with an 18-55mm kit lens.

Shannon

Shannon, that's because you weren't bored enough.

Pat

I did edit this file slightly, as Canons tend to occasionally have funny white balances.  All I did is warm up the picture so my hand doesn't look so zombie-coloured.  I suffer for my craft, as I will explain in a sentence or two.  Every streak and scratch on my hand is Tux-induced.  Those two big scratches occurred as I was playing with him and he almost fell off the bed.  He tried to claw onto something so as not to fall off the bed.  Unfortunately, my hand was the closest object.  Here's where I suffer, though.  Doing this set of pictures (and on this very picture, in fact) Tux re-opened a half-healed wound he gave me a few days ago.

One may wonder how much others will suffer for their craft tomorrow.  Probably nobody, but I may do something stupid to prove you wrong.  Tune in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment