Monday 7 March 2011

"If your pictures aren’t good enough, you aren’t close enough." - 365 Project, Day 7

Some have teased me before for having so many cameras.  I, at one point, had three (and my phone, that one is to be counted, as well).  I used them all, though, and I saw those teases as informed as they were good-natured.  I am now greatly looking forward to the release of the Fuji X100 (not that I feel like dating myself or anything), and though I probably won't buy that piece of technology, I will no doubt wish I owned it.  Now, I know full well that my photography will not be suddenly sublime if I had that shiny piece of aluminium in my hands.  I would still look at my pictures and still think 999 out of 1000 are nothing stellar.  (The most recent picture, in fact, that I quite enjoyed was captured from my cell phone.)  This does not, however, change the fact that I would not mind being the owner of a $1500 camera, to be used as my secondary camera.  (To those who wish to inquire, I am not a professional photographer, and I hardly have $1500 to spend on important things, such as furniture and pictures to decorate my walls, let alone a camera with limited use (the X100 is geared towards street photography.).)  However, every camera is different, and they each offer up a different angle on the world.  Every camera has something to offer and have the possibility of meshing with its user, regardless of its price or level.

It would be interesting to pinpoint what makes a great photographer compared to a functional one.  My many cameras don't seem to have helped me in the past.  My ooh-la-la-to-ho-hum ratio hasn't changed with my upgrades.  The more things I photograph, the better I shall get, right?  I believe that's the way it goes.  I mean, I don't believe (at least I hope) my experience will not be a detriment to my skill.  I suppose if I ever think my pictures aren't good enough, I can always move closer.

Today's pictures are varied, which is always a good sign.  It goes to show that not everybody sees the same thing in the same light.

Frank


His note: This photo is of my TV and it is tuned to a soak opera.  My g/f has been watching this particular soak opera since she was 15!!!!!!!!!  I do not like soak operas or most of what is on TV these days so today I chose to marry this photo to a song from Frank Zappa's album Overnight Sensation, "I Am The Slime".  To me, he will always be the immortal and always cynical Frank Zappa...  His message is very clear... although I like Zappa's cynicism I have to admit I do enjoy some of the 'slime'.

Mandy


Her note: I'm seeing warmth this cold day.  What better than to mirror warmth in a photo.  I've been pressing flowers and leaves for quite a while.  This is a favourite leaf of mine.

Shannon


Her note: As I was walking past a co-worker's cubicle I noticed these beautiful flowers and loved the brightness of this flower.  Reminded me of Summer :)

My picture


Like in my preamble post, I couldn't find much inspiration today.  I took a few pictures I liked, but nothing jumped out at me.  I think this neverending winter weather is getting to me.  I'm adding in this picture because it's the most interesting one I took today.  The bit problem was trying to keep the small camera steady, as I didn't want an unusable ISO, and to do that the shutter speed had to be half a second.  I think it turned out alright.

With the first week over, well, we look towards the second week.  On to Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment