Tuesday 17 January 2012

"If you’re out of focus, you’re out of luck." - 365 Project, Day 323

Key number four in Gavin Seim's guide to crazy awesome picture quality is focus, and it sounds as simple as it is.  If you miss focus, you can't get it back.  There are plugins and tweaks you can do in post-production, but they don't replace an in-focus shot.  They're not perfect and they introduce artifacts.

This is, of course, if you want your shot to be in focus.  Sometimes you want a partly-blurry shot, and of course.  I don't really have anything else to add to this key, though, because it's both simple and true.

Here are in-focus pictures.

Frank

His note: Dots from the alarm grill in my apartment. If I look at them for a long time I get dizzy.

Shannon

Her note: Leaving work today, this car decided not to turn and jumped the median.

My photograph

I was messing around with the Movie Digest mode in the s100 so I was just snapping shots willy-nilly to see what would end up in the video.  I like this one because the metering is a bit off for the scene, giving the image blurriness in moving objects.  (There are no manual settings in Movie Digest mode, by the way.)  I like it, because it's not something I would have done, but it's a nice thing to see from my camera.

I don't know what to expect tomorrow, but I think I'll be doing a lot of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment