Wednesday 30 March 2011

"Where there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see." - 365 Project, Day 30

I had a thought.  This generally occurs every day, sometimes twice a day.  On this blog, there are four people taking pictures, and if I were to tell my compadres to take a picture of, say, blue, something of a theme would emerge for the day.  Yesterday, this mostly occurred by coincidence.  However, though all pictures would have something blue (obviously), we'd probably all have different pictures.

Imagine this.  Take 5, 10, 20 photographers and plop them in a location.  It doesn't matter where - a house, a famous landmark, a sports stadium, a concert hall - and give them all the same camera - again, no matter, Nikon D3X, Panasonic GF-2, Leica M9, Canon A3000 - and tell them to shoot whatever they feel like shooting.  Free roam for an hour or two (or whatever).  I would find it fascinating to see what pictures this experiment would finish with.  Would the landscape photographer take wide-angle shots of the scenery, and street photographer take pictures of the others taking pictures?  Or would they all change styles to try something different?  Just a small thought, but I wonder what the results would be.

On to the the pictures!

Frank

His note: I went to Mark's [Work Warehouse, clothing store] on St-Laurent blvd. today to get some suspenders (ya I'm really getting old lol).  Next to Mark's was a building where I found this shot.  This was so interesting I just had to try and shoot it.  At a quick glance it is a very innocuous, or pallid, picture.  But when you look closely the metal wire seems to be defying gravity; it should be hanging rather than standing upright.  It is not touching the wall either.  The shadows are collaborators here as well - they seem to split in 2 different directions.  The wire shadow points upward and the loop shadow points downward.  The sun was wonderful and warm today, let's have more of it!

Mandy

Her note: Jon's door.

Shannon

Her note: Went for lunch for a going away party and our table had a tap on it. Too bad it didn't work .

My picture

As mentioned before, today was very nice, and so alternate modes of transportation come out.  I saw this skateboarder waiting for the bus and he had a nice look to him, with the skateboard across his lap.  Unfortunately, he saw me taking a picture of him, but I like the angle and the way he's looking towards the camera.

I will probably be caught tomorrow again taking a picture of someone.  Tune in to see if I'll have a black eye because of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment